I’d like to begin by pointing out that Ryan did 99.9% of this project all by himself. I handed him screws when necessary, photographed the progress, and provided moral support along the way.
You see, we only have one tall ladder, which I originally thought might be a hindrance to this project. I was pleasantly surprised that Ryan was able to do this all by himself- minus the help with the screws and moral support, of course, for which my assistance was very important.
For the past year, we had been talking about putting a gutter up around the garage. Once the new mulch was laid down last week, we decided that the time had come to just get on that. So get on that we did, and to Lowe’s we went. <–three separate times, I’d like to point out, because we relied on guesstimates rather than actual measuring. Don’t do that. Take some measurements.
We spent about $130 on this project, which was more than we thought it would be. We figure, however, that it is a one-time project, so it’s worth it, of course.
Ryan began by laying out his gutter pieces so that they were ready to go when he needed them.
He then began by simply screwing in the piece that connects the gutter to the downspout.
He then estimated where he thought the L bracket should be placed so that the gutter would be held up in the middle. We hoisted up the gutter, he connected it to this first piece, and it sat, waiting for him to repeat the process with the other pieces of gutter.
It was a really simple process and went relatively quickly. He simply moved down the length of the garage and repeated this process until it was done.
It looks a little more polished than before and now we can actually send the rain water down the spout rather than all over the flowers and mulch and probably toward the bottom of the wooden garage, which is a big no-no and leads to rot. We have talked about making a rain barrel to collect the water, which we will then be able to use to water the grass. However, after seeing this finished project, we may hold off a few months before beginning that project. Not only was it a major pain to cut the plastic materials (we used those giant chopping shears you use to trim tree branches), but it just looks so nice that we don’t want to slice and dice it up just yet!